Item No: pdcf00419
Title: Queen Memorial Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Queen Memorial Branch, 1957
Historic Street Address:
1313-15 Point Breeze Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
Named in honor of a Philadelphia optician, pioneer microscope-maker, and philanthropist, the James W. Queen Memorial Library was founded in 1907. It was originally housed in the Hope Presbyterian Church at 33rd & Wharton Streets; it became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia in December 1912.
On October 29, 1957, the Queen Memorial Branch reopened in a new location, a rented building (formerly a store) at 1313-1315 Point Breeze Avenue. This opening day overhead view highlights then-innovative string shelving from Stockholm, Sweden.
In 1995, the branch opened in its latest location, 1201 S. 23rd Street, in the Landreth Apartments for seniors. Although located in a seniors residence, the Queen Memorial Branch serves all ages of the Point Breeze community.