Item No: pdcf00422
Title: Queen Memorial Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Queen Memorial Branch, 1995
Historic Street Address:
1201 S. 23rd Street
Print and Picture Collection
Named in honor of a Philadelphia optician, pioneer microscope-maker, and philanthropist, the James W. Queen Memorial Library was founded in 1907. It was originally housed in the Hope Presbyterian Church at 33rd & Wharton Streets; it became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia in December 1912. In 1957, the branch was relocated to a rented building (formerly a store) at 1313-1315 Point Breeze Avenue.
On January 17, 1995, the branch moved to its latest location, at 1201 S. 23rd Street, in the Landreth Apartments for seniors. The building, built in 1889, is a renovated elementary school, the former Landreth School. This 1995 interior view shows the adult stacks on both levels.
Although located in a seniors residence, the Queen Memorial Branch serves all ages of the Point Breeze community.