Item No: pdcf00428
Title: Richmond Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Richmond Branch, ca. 1910
Historic Street Address:
2987 Almond Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Richmond Branch (originally called the Port Richmond Branch) first opened in 1897, as a “Travelling Library,” in Steinmeyer’s flour and feed store at 2965 Richmond Street. In 1898, the library became an official Free Library branch, and was moved to the second floor of the nearby Mutual Hall Association.
The current location of the Richmond Branch opened in 1910, becoming the 11th Andrew Carnegie-funded branch of the Free Library. The land for the building, at Indiana Avenue & Almond Street, was donated by Anne W. Penfield, wealthy daughter of chemical manufacturing magnate William Weightman. The architect for the Richmond Branch was Edward L. Tilton. This interior ca. 1910 view shows the main room and children's room (which doubled as a 400-capacity lecture room). The basement consisted then of a staff room, kitchen, work room, magazine room, storage room, two classrooms, toilets, boiler room and coal bin.
The Richmond Branch serves the Richmond and Port Richmond communities.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer