Item No: pdcf00430
Title: Richmond Branch
Additional Title: Basement classroom view in the Richmond Branch, ca. 1910
Historic Street Address:
2987 Almond Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Richmond Branch (originally called the Port Richmond Branch) first opened in 1897, as a “Travelling Library,” in a store at 2965 Richmond Street. In 1898, the library became an official Free Library branch, and was moved to the second floor of the nearby Mutual Hall Association.
The current location of the Richmond Branch opened in 1910, becoming the 11th Andrew Carnegie-funded branch of the Free Library. Seen in this ca. 1910 image is a young ladies' library class, being conducted in one of the basement classrooms.
The Richmond Branch serves the Richmond and Port Richmond communities.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer