Item No: pdcf00433
Title: Richmond Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Richmond Branch, 1964
Historic Street Address:
2987 Almond Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Richmond Branch (originally called the Port Richmond Branch) first opened in 1897, as a “Travelling Library,” in a store at 2965 Richmond Street. In 1898, the library became an official Free Library branch, and was moved to the second floor of the nearby Mutual Hall Association.
The current location of the Richmond Branch opened in 1910, becoming the 11th Andrew Carnegie-funded branch of the Free Library. This 1964 interior view of the children's room shows the branch in mid-renovation. New fluorescent lighting and painted walls and woodwork are evident, and the skylights have been covered from above.
The Richmond Branch serves the Richmond and Port Richmond communities.