Item No: pdcf00442
Title: Roxborough Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Roxborough Branch, in the Roxborough Lyceum, ca. 1896
Historic Street Address:
Ridge & Lyceum Avenues
Print and Picture Collection
The Roxborough Lyceum, built in 1856, housed several libraries until 1896, when it became the Roxborough Branch of the Free Library. This is a ca. 1896 exterior view of the front of the building, on Ridge Avenue.
In 1908, the branch closed; then in 1960, it reopened in a rented former supermarket building. In 1969, it moved into a new building, just two blocks away.
The Roxborough Branch serves the communities of Roxborough, Manayunk, and Wissahickon.