Item No: pdcf00444
Title: Roxborough Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Roxborough Branch, ca. early 1900s
Historic Street Address:
Ridge & Lyceum Avenues
Print and Picture Collection
The Roxborough Lyceum, built in 1856, housed several libraries until 1896, when it became the Roxborough Branch of the Free Library. This is a ca. early 1900s interior view of the branch, highlighting the circulation desk area. There were a few changes in lighting and the circulation desk since the branch opened in 1896.
In 1908, the branch closed; then in 1960, it reopened in a rented former supermarket building. In 1969, it moved into a new building, just two blocks away.
The Roxborough Branch serves the communities of Roxborough, Manayunk, and Wissahickon.