Item No: pdcf00446
Title: Roxborough Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Roxborough Branch, 1962
Historic Street Address:
6213-15 Ridge Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The Roxborough Branch opened as a Free Library branch in 1896, in the Roxborough Lyceum (built in the mid-1800s). In 1908, the branch closed, as two new Andrew Carnegie-funded branches opened in the nearby Manayunk and Wissahickon areas. It was decided to merge these two branches into a reestablished Roxborough Branch. In 1960, it reopened in a rented former A&P supermarket building at 6213 Ridge Avenue. This is a 1962 interior view of the branch, facing the back. In 1969, the branch moved into a new building, just two blocks away.
The Roxborough Branch serves the communities of Roxborough, Manayunk, and Wissahickon.