Item No: pdcf00448
Title: Roxborough Branch
Additional Title: Exterior of the Roxborough Branch, 1969
Historic Street Address:
6245 Ridge Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The Roxborough Branch opened as a Free Library branch in 1896, in the Roxborough Lyceum (built in the mid-1800s). In 1908, the branch closed, as two new Andrew Carnegie-funded branches opened in the nearby Manayunk and Wissahickon areas. Years later, it was decided to merge these two branches into a reestablished Roxborough Branch. In 1960, it reopened in a rented former A&P supermarket building.
In 1969, the branch moved two blocks north into a new building, pictured here, from the corner of Ridge Avenue & Hermitage Street.
The Roxborough Branch serves the communities of Roxborough, Manayunk, and Wissahickon.
Leggue, John G. - Photographer