Roxborough BranchHistorical Images of Philadelphia Free Library Departments and Branches
Item No: pdcf00449
Title: Roxborough Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Roxborough Branch, 1973Historic Street Address: 6245 Ridge Avenue
Media Type: Photographic Prints
Source: Print and Picture Collection
The Roxborough Branch opened as a Free Library branch in 1896, in the Roxborough Lyceum (built in the mid-1800s). In 1908, the branch closed, as two new Andrew Carnegie-funded branches opened in the nearby Manayunk and Wissahickon areas. Years later, it was decided to merge these two branches into a reestablished Roxborough Branch. In 1960, it reopened in a rented former A&P supermarket building.
In 1969, the branch moved two blocks north into a new building, pictured here. This 1973 exterior view shows the entrance on Ridge Avenue.
The Roxborough Branch serves the communities of Roxborough, Manayunk, and Wissahickon.
Creation Year: 1973
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.218217
Creator Name: Lawrence S. Williams, Inc. - Photographer