Item No: pdcf00452
Title: Roxborough Branch
Additional Title: Architect's rendering of the new Roxborough Branch, ca. 1967
Historic Street Address:
6245 Ridge Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The Roxborough Branch opened as a Free Library branch in 1896, in the Roxborough Lyceum (built in the mid-1800s). In 1908, the branch closed, as two new Andrew Carnegie-funded branches opened in the nearby Manayunk and Wissahickon areas. It was decided to merge these two branches into a reestablished Roxborough Branch. In 1960, it reopened in a rented former A&P supermarket building.
This is a copy of the architect's ca. 1967 rendering for a new building, designed by The Ballinger Company. In 1969, the branch moved two blocks north into the new building.
The Roxborough Branch serves the communities of Roxborough, Manayunk, and Wissahickon.