Item No: pdcf00460
Title: South Philadelphia Branch
Additional Title: Children's room of the South Philadelphia Branch, ca. 1914
Historic Street Address:
2407-2417 South Broad Street
Print and Picture Collection
In 1914, the South Philadelphia Branch became the 16th branch of the Free Library to be built with funds donated by Andrew Carnegie. This early interior view is of the children's room.
In 1965, the branch relocated to a new building at Broad & Morris Streets, and this building became the Ritner Children’s Library. In 1999, it was incorporated into an adjoining community center as a multi-purpose room. As of 2010, this building has been part of the Philadelphia Performing Arts Charter School's east campus.
[It should be noted that the library building at the new location, at Broad & Morris, was demolished in 2014; and in 2016, in partnership with CHOP, the City of Philadelphia, and the Free Library, a new building that combines health, recreational, and literacy services was opened on the same site, becoming the South Philadelphia Health and Literacy Center, incorporating the new South Philadelphia Library branch.]
The South Philadelphia Branch serves the north central area of South Philadelphia.