Item No: pdcf00465
Title: South Philadelphia Branch
Additional Title: Opening Day ceremonies for the new South Philadelphia Branch building, 1965
Historic Street Address:
1700 South Broad Street
Print and Picture Collection
In 1914, the South Philadelphia Branch opened in an Andrew Carnegie-funded building at Broad and Ritner Streets. In 1965, the branch relocated to Broad & Morris Streets. This is a 1965 street view of the over-flow crowd gathered on the sidewalk, watching (from behind) the opening day ceremonies for the new building.
In 2014, this building was demolished, and in 2016, in partnership with CHOP, the City of Philadelphia, and the Free Library, a new building that combines health, recreational, and literacy services was opened on the same site at Broad & Morris, becoming the South Philadelphia Health and Literacy Center, incorporating the new South Philadelphia Library branch.
The South Philadelphia Branch serves the north central area of South Philadelphia.
Dufor Studios - Photographer