South Philadelphia BranchHistorical Images of Philadelphia Free Library Departments and Branches
Historic Street Address: 1700 South Broad Street
Media Type: Photographic Prints
Source: Print and Picture Collection
In 1914, the South Philadelphia Branch opened in an Andrew Carnegie-funded building at Broad and Ritner Streets. In 1965, the branch relocated to Broad & Morris Streets. This is a 1965 exterior view of the large crowd attending the opening day ceremonies, held on the new building's ample plaza.
In 2014, this building was demolished, and in 2016, in partnership with CHOP, the City of Philadelphia, and the Free Library, a new building that combines health, recreational, and literacy services was opened on the same site at Broad & Morris, becoming the South Philadelphia Health and Literacy Center, incorporating the new South Philadelphia Library branch.
The South Philadelphia Branch serves the north central area of South Philadelphia.
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.169120
Creator Name: Dufor Studios - Photographer