Item No: pdcf00467
Title: South Philadelphia Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the South Philadelphia Branch, 1966
Historic Street Address:
1700 South Broad Street
Print and Picture Collection
In 1914, the South Philadelphia Branch opened in an Andrew Carnegie-funded building at Broad and Ritner Streets. In 1965, the branch relocated, and the original building became the Ritner Children’s Library until 1999, when it was incorporated into an adjoining community center as a multi-purpose room.
This 1966 exterior view of the South Philadelphia Branch shows the new building from the corner of Broad & Morris streets. The sizeable plaza enables the entrance to be set back from the street.
In 2014, this building was demolished, and in 2016, in partnership with CHOP, the City of Philadelphia, and the Free Library, a new building that combines health, recreational, and literacy services was opened on the same site at Broad & Morris, becoming the South Philadelphia Health and Literacy Center, incorporating the new South Philadelphia Library branch.
The South Philadelphia Branch serves the north central area of South Philadelphia.
Lawrence S. Williams, Inc. - Photographer