Item No: pdcf00469
Title: South Philadelphia Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the South Philadelphia Branch, ca. 1966
Historic Street Address:
1700 South Broad Street
Print and Picture Collection
In 1914, the South Philadelphia Branch opened in an Andrew Carnegie-funded building at Broad and Ritner Streets. In 1965, the branch relocated to Broad & Morris Streets.
This ca. 1966 exterior view of the new building highlights the bronze sculpture located under the tree in the front plaza. Titled “See the Moon,” it was created for the library by Evelyn Keyser in 1965.
In 2014, this building was demolished, and in 2016, in partnership with CHOP, the City of Philadelphia, and the Free Library, a new building that combines health, recreational, and literacy services was opened on the same site at Broad & Morris, becoming the South Philadelphia Health and Literacy Center, incorporating the new South Philadelphia Library branch. The sculpture of the mother and child is still located in front of the new building.
The South Philadelphia Branch serves the north central area of South Philadelphia.