Item No: pdcf00472
Title: South Philadelphia Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the meeting/lecture room in the South Philadelphia Branch, 1965
Historic Street Address:
1700 South Broad Street
Print and Picture Collection
In 1914, the South Philadelphia Branch opened in an Andrew Carnegie-funded building at Broad and Ritner Streets. In 1965, the branch relocated to Broad & Morris Streets. This 1965 interior image shows a portion the meeting/lecture room in the new building.
In 2014, this building was demolished, and in 2016, in partnership with CHOP, the City of Philadelphia, and the Free Library, a new building that combines health, recreational, and literacy services was opened on the same site at Broad & Morris, becoming the South Philadelphia Health and Literacy Center, incorporating the new South Philadelphia Library branch.
The South Philadelphia Branch serves the north central area of South Philadelphia.a Branch serves the north central area of South Philadelphia.