Item No: pdcf00489
Title: Charles Santore/Southwark Branch
Additional Title: Stained-glass mural in the children's room at the Southwark Branch, ca. 1995
Historic Street Address:
932 South 7th Street
Print and Picture Collection
The original Southwark Branch opened in 1912, and was the 13th Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch. Located at 5th & Ellswoth Streets, on a smaller lot than a typical Carnegie library, it eventually became inadequate for the needs of the community.
In 1963, the Southwark Branch reopened in this new building, at 7th & Carpenter Streets. This ca. 1995 interior view shows a stained-glass mural, installed in the children's room when the library was renovated in the 1990s--it has since been removed. In 2004, the branch was renamed in honor of Charles Santore, a long-time South Philadelphia leader.
The Southwark Branch, located near the Italian Market, serves the South Philadelphia communities of Bella Vista, Queen Village, and Hawthorne.