Item No: pdcf00270
Title: Spring Garden Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Spring Garden Branch, 1907
Historic Street Address:
17th & Spring Garden Streets, SW corner
Print and Picture Collection
The Spring Garden Branch was the 7th Andrew Carnegie-funded branch of the Free Library. It was opened on November 18, 1907, on the SW corner of 17th & Spring Garden Streets. The land was donated by Burnham, Williams & Company, of the Baldwin Locomotive Works. The architectural firm of Field & Medary designed the branch in the Gothic Revival style. The exterior was of brick and artificial stone covered by copper sheeting.
The Spring Garden Branch served the Logan Square community until 1955, when the branch was closed. The building reopened in 1957, as the Free Library of Philadelphia Library for the Blind. The building was demolished sometime between 1970 and 1991.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer