Item No: pdcf00271
Title: Spring Garden Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Spring Garden Branch, 1907
Historic Street Address:
17th & Spring Garden Streets, SW corner
Print and Picture Collection
The Spring Garden Branch was the 7th Andrew Carnegie-funded branch of the Free Library. It was opened on November 18, 1907, on the SW corner of 17th & Spring Garden Streets. This is a 1907 interior view of the main room. The basement consisted of a large lecture room (which could seat 500), a staff room, lunch room, kitchen, supply room, and two toilets; the sub-basement had the boiler room and coal bin.
The Spring Garden Branch served the Logan Square community until 1955, when the branch was closed. The building reopened in 1957, as the Free Library of Philadelphia Library for the Blind. The building was demolished sometime between 1970 and 1991.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer