Item No: pdcf00272
Title: Spring Garden Branch
Additional Title: Architect's floor plans for the Spring Garden Branch, 1907
Historic Street Address:
17th & Spring Garden Streets, SW corner
Print and Picture Collection
The Spring Garden Branch was the 7th Andrew Carnegie-funded branch of the Free Library. It was opened on November 18, 1907, on the SW corner of 17th & Spring Garden Streets. The architectural firm of Field & Medary designed the branch in the Gothic Revival style. This image is a copy of Vol. 16, No. 7, Plate 112, of The Brickbuilder, originally published in July 1907. It shows the floor plans and an exterior view of the 17th Street side of the building.
The Spring Garden Branch served the Logan Square community until 1955, when the branch was closed. The building reopened in 1957, as the Free Library of Philadelphia Library for the Blind. The building was demolished sometime between 1970 and 1991.
Field & Medary, Architects - Architect