Item No: pdcf00142
Title: Tacony Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Tacony Branch, 1906
Historic Street Address:
6742 Torresdale Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The land for the Tacony Branch was donated in 1904 by Jacob S. Disston, Esq., whose influential family in the Tacony area dated back to 1872. Located in a working-class neighborhood at Torresdale Avenue & Knorr Street, the branch opened on November 27, 1906, becoming the 4th Andrew Carnegie-funded branch of the Free Library.
This is a 1906 exterior view of the Tacony Branch. The architect was Lindley Johnson. The design is an open T-plan, one-story Beaux Arts Revival building with a basement, using brick and terra cotta for the exterior. The building was completed at a cost of $43,383.
The Tacony Branch serves the Tacony/Wissinoming community.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer