Item No: pdcf00143
Title: Tacony Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Tacony Branch, 1906
Historic Street Address:
6742 Torresdale Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The land for the Tacony Branch was donated in 1904 by Jacob S. Disston, Esq., whose influential family in the Tacony area dated back to 1872. Located in a working-class neighborhood at Torresdale Avenue & Knorr Street, the branch opened on November 27, 1906, becoming the 4th Andrew Carnegie-funded branch of the Free Library.
This 1906 interior view shows the main reading room, highlighting the circulation desk and the skylight. Through the archway on the left is the children's room, which doubles as a lecture room that can seat 250 people. The basement had a staff room, kitchen, boiler room, coal bin, and two toilets.
The Tacony Branch serves the Tacony/Wissinoming community.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer