Item No: pdcf00150
Title: Tacony Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Tacony Branch, ca. 1940
Historic Street Address:
6742 Torresdale Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The land for the Tacony Branch was donated in 1904 by Jacob S. Disston, Esq., whose influential family in the Tacony area dated back to 1872. Located in a working-class neighborhood at Torresdale Avenue & Knorr Street, the branch opened on November 27, 1906, becoming the 4th Andrew Carnegie-funded branch of the Free Library. This ca. 1940 image shows a three-quarter exterior view of the Tacony Branch, including an added hedge around the perimeter.
The Tacony Branch serves the Tacony/Wissinoming community.