Item No: pdcf00151
Title: Tacony Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Tacony Branch, ca. 1959
Historic Street Address:
6742 Torresdale Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The land for the Tacony Branch was donated in 1904 by Jacob S. Disston, Esq., whose influential family in the Tacony area dated back to 1872. Located in a working-class neighborhood at Torresdale Avenue & Knorr Street, the branch opened on November 27, 1906, becoming the 4th Andrew Carnegie-funded branch of the Free Library.
This ca. 1959 interior image was taken before significant rehabilitation to the building. Visible on the extreme upper right is evidence of water damage.
The Tacony Branch serves the Tacony/Wissinoming community.