Item No: pdcf00247
Title: Tacony Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Tacony Branch, ca. 1959
Historic Street Address:
6742 Torresdale Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The land for the Tacony Branch was donated in 1904 by Jacob S. Disston, Esq., whose influential family in the Tacony area dated back to 1872. Located in a working-class neighborhood at Torresdale Avenue & Knorr Street, the branch opened on November 27, 1906, becoming the 4th Andrew Carnegie-funded branch of the Free Library.
This ca. 1959 interior image was taken before major rehabilitation to the building. See image #pdcf00260 to see the same view after renovations.
The Tacony Branch serves the Tacony/Wissinoming community.