Item No: pdcf00260
Title: Tacony Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Tacony Branch, ca. 1960
Historic Street Address:
6742 Torresdale Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The land for the Tacony Branch was donated in 1904 by Jacob S. Disston, Esq., whose influential family in the Tacony area dated back to 1872. Located in a working-class neighborhood at Torresdale Avenue & Knorr Street, the branch opened on November 27, 1906, becoming the 4th Andrew Carnegie-funded branch of the Free Library.
This ca. 1960 image shows the children's room, following major renovations to the interior. For a comparison, see image #pdcf00247. The principle changes include linoleum flooring, a luminous drop ceiling (concealing the exisiting catherdral ceiling), removal of doorway molding, and repainting of remaining woodwork.
The Tacony Branch serves the Tacony/Wissinoming community.