Item No: pdcf00261
Title: Tacony Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Tacony Branch, ca. 1960
Print and Picture Collection
The land for the Tacony Branch was donated in 1904 by Jacob S. Disston, Esq., whose influential family in the Tacony area dated back to 1872. Located in a working-class neighborhood at Torresdale Avenue & Knorr Street, the branch opened on November 27, 1906, becoming the 4th Andrew Carnegie-funded branch of the Free Library.
This ca. 1960 interior view shows the main room after major renovations. The principle changes include linoleum flooring, suspended fluorescent lighting, the repainting of the existing woodwork, and a new circulation desk and work space. For a comparison of the changes, see image #pdcf00143.
The Tacony Branch serves the Tacony/Wissinoming community.