Item No: pdcf00286
Title: Wagner Institute Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Wagner Institute Branch, ca. 1896
Historic Street Address:
17th Street & Montgomery Avenue, SW corner
Print and Picture Collection
The Wagner Free Institute of Science housed the first branch of the Philadelphia Public Library (established by the Board of Education) in 1892. When the Free Library of Philadelphia became the City’s sole free public library system on January 1, 1896, the Wagner Institute Library—as well as each of the other five Philadelphia Public Library branches—became an official Free Library branch.
The branch occupied rented space from the Wagner Institute, quartered in half of the first floor of the original building and the entire first floor of a new wing. This ca. 1896 exterior view shows the added wing on the west side of the original building. Wagner Institute Branch remained at this location until 1962. That year it was closed and replaced by the new Columbia Avenue Branch (later renamed the Cecil B. Moore Branch).
The Wagner Institute Branch served the communities of North Central Philadelphia.