Item No: pdcf00425
Title: Wharton Street Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Wharton Street Branch, 1941
Historic Street Address:
1415 Wharton Street
Print and Picture Collection
The second Philadelphia Public Library branch, established in 1893 by the Philadelphia Board of Education, was located in a YMCA building at Broad & Federal Streets. When the Free Library of Philadelphia became the City’s sole free public library system in 1896, the branch became a Free Library branch. In 1923, it moved to a building at 1415 Wharton Street, becoming the Wharton Street Branch. This is a 1941 exterior view of the building.
The Wharton Street Branch served the South Center City area of Philadelphia from 1923-1944, when the branch was closed upon the opening of the Ridgway Library nearby.
United States. Works Progress Administration of Pennsylvania - Photographer