Item No: pdcf00504
Title: Wissahickon Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Wissahickon Branch, ca. 1940
Historic Street Address:
Manayunk Avenue & Osborn Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Wissahicken Branch was the ninth Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch, opened in 1909, and built on land donated by the Pencoyd Iron Works. This image is a ca. 1940 exterior view of the branch, taken by the W.P.A.'s Museum Extension Project.
The Wissahickon Branch served the Wissahickon neighborhood until it closed, along with the Manayunk Branch, in 1969; these branches moved into a new building, merging with the reestablished Roxborough Branch. Sometime soon after, the building that was formerly the Wissahickon Branch (pictured here) burned down.
United States. Works Progress Administration of Pennsylvania - Photographer