Item No: pdcf00082
Title: Wissahickon Branch
Additional Title: Manayunk's 250th Anniversary Exhibition, Manayunk Branch, 1940
Historic Street Address:
Manayunk Avenue & Osborn Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Wissahicken Branch was the ninth Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch, opened in 1909, and built on land donated by the Pencoyd Iron Works. This 1940 photograph shows some of the displays of books, papers, clothing, and artifacts celebrating the Wissahickon Community's 250th Anniversary, a joint exhibition with the Manayunk Branch.
The Wissahickon Branch served the Wissahickon neighborhood until it closed, along with the Manayunk Branch, in 1969; these branches moved into a new building, merging with the reestablished Roxborough Branch. Sometime soon after, the building that was formerly the Wissahickon Branch (pictured here) burned down.
Hey, Charles P. - Photographer