Item No: pdcf00326
Title: Wissahickon Branch
Additional Title: Wissahickon's 250th Anniversary Exhibition, Wissahickon Branch, 1940
Historic Street Address:
Manayunk Avenue & Osborn Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Wissahicken Branch was the ninth Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch, opened in 1909, and built on land donated by the Pencoyd Iron Works. This photograph shows some of the displays of artifacts celebrating the Wissahickon Community's 250th Anniversary, a joint exhibition with the Manayunk Branch.
The Wissahickon Branch served the Wissahickon neighborhood until it closed, along with the Manayunk Branch, in 1969; these branches moved into a new building, merging with the reestablished Roxborough Branch. Sometime soon after, the building that was formerly the Wissahickon Branch (pictured here) burned down.
Hey, Charles P. - Photographer