Item No: pdcf00505
Title: Wyoming Branch
Additional Title: Three-quarter, exterior view of the Wyoming Branch, ca. 1930
Print and Picture Collection
The Wyoming Branch was the last of the 25 Free Library branches funded by Andrew Carnegie, opening on October 29, 1930. In fact, it turned out to be the last library in the world constructed with funds donated by the great library philanthropist. The land for the library was provided by The City of Philadelphia, being set aside from part of an existing public playground. The architect was Philip H. Johnson, and the design is in the Beaux Arts style.
Because it was the last Carnegie, it included more elaborate details than previous Free Library Carnegies. The outside cornices and other decorative features are made of French limestone. The Wyoming Branch was touted as a truly fireproof building, constructed of steel and concrete—even the roof foundation is concrete. The total cost was $111,699.
The Wyoming Branch serves the Juniata/Feltonville neighborhoods.