Item No: pdcf00518
Title: Walnut Street West/West Philadelphia Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the West Philadelphia Branch, ca. 1898
Historic Street Address:
40th & Ludlow Streets, NW corner
Print and Picture Collection
The West Philadelphia Branch of Philadelphia Public Library opened on May 28, 1895. It was housed in a suite of three rooms on the first floor of the West Philadelphia Institute at 40th and Ludlow Streets. It became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia on January 1, 1896. This interior photograph was probably taken shortly after the space expanded to 5 rooms, appearing less cramped than in the earlier image (see #pdcf00517).
The branch underwent several relocations and renovations over the next century. In 1906, the branch moved into its permanent location, at 40th & Walnut Streets. Sometime in the 1970s, it was renamed the Walnut Street West Branch.
Located near the University of Pennsylvania, the library serves the communities of University City and Spruce Hill.