Item No: pdcf00522
Title: Walnut Street West/West Philadelphia Branch
Additional Title: Copy of the architectural rendering for new West Philadelphia Branch building, 1904
Historic Street Address:
40th & Walnut Streets, SE corner
Print and Picture Collection
The West Philadelphia Branch of Philadelphia Public Library, located at 40th and Ludlow Streets, became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia on January 1, 1896. In May of 1901, the branch moved to the Hamilton School Building, at 4105-09 Chestnut Street.
On June 26, 1906, the branch moved into the first of the Andrew Carnegie-funded branches, at 40th & Walnut Street. It was built at a cost of $80,387, on land donated by Clarence H. Clark, a West Philadelphia banker. The architect for the project was Clarence Clark Zantzinger. The image seen here is a copy of his 1904 rendering for a one-story (with basement) French Renaissance-style structure.
The branch was renamed the Walnut Street West Branch sometime in the 1970s. Located near the University of Pennsylvania, the branch serves the West Philadelphia communities of University City and Spruce Hill.
Zantzinger, Clarence Clark, 1872-1954 - Architect