Item No: pdcf00529
Title: Walnut Street West/West Philadelphia Branch
Additional Title: Copy of the architect's rendering of the changes for the West Philadelphia Branch, 1958
Historic Street Address:
40th & Walnut Street, SE corner
Print and Picture Collection
The West Philadelphia Branch of Philadelphia Public Library, located at 40th and Ludlow Streets, became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia on January 1, 1896. In May of 1901, the branch moved to the Hamilton School Building, at 4105-09 Chestnut Street.
On June 26, 1906, the branch moved into the first of the Andrew Carnegie-funded branches, located at 40th and Walnut Streets. In 1960, the branch was remodeled, including moving the 40th Street public entrance to Walnut Street, as shown in this 1958 architect's rendering. (Ironically, the entrance was moved back to 40th Street in the late 1990s.)
The branch was renamed the Walnut Street West Branch sometime in the 1970s. Located near the University of Pennsylvania, the branch serves the West Philadelphia communities of University City and Spruce Hill.
Andrusiw, Peter, 1906-1981 - Architect