Item No: pdcf00580
Title: Widener Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Widener Branch, ca. 1900
Historic Street Address:
1200 N. Broad Street
Print and Picture Collection
In 1900, the H. Josephine Widener Branch of the Free Library was opened in the Widener Mansion at Broad Street & Girard Avenue, a gift of Peter A. B. Widener, in memory of his wife. This image is an exterior corner view of the branch.
In 1946, the Widener Mansion was sold. The proceeds were used to buy and remodel a former bank building further north, at 2531 W. Lehigh Avenue. In 2005, the branch moved to its present location, a new glass-fronted building three blocks away, at 2808 W. Lehigh Avenue.
The Widener Branch serves the communities of North Central Philadelphia, Strawberry Mansion, and Allegheny West.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer