Item No: pdcf00584
Title: Widener Branch
Additional Title: Close-up view of the entrance to the Widener Branch, ca. 1946
Historic Street Address:
2531 W. Lehigh Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1900, the H. Josephine Widener Branch of the Free Library was opened in the Widener Mansion at Broad Street & Girard Avenue. When the mansion was sold in 1946, the proceeds were used to buy and remodel this former bank building further north, at 2531 W. Lehigh Avenue. This ca. 1946 exterior night view is a close-up of the entrance.
In 2005, the branch moved to its present location, a new glass-fronted building, three blocks away at 2808 W. Lehigh Avenue.
The Widener Branch serves the communities of North Central Philadelphia, Strawberry Mansion, and Allegheny West.
Swallow's Studio - Photographer