Item No: pdcf00592
Title: Widener Branch
Additional Title: Copy of the architect's rendering for rehabilitating the Widener Branch, ca. 1976
Historic Street Address:
2531 W. Lehigh Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1900, the H. Josephine Widener Branch of the Free Library was opened in the Widener Mansion at Broad Street & Girard Avenue. When the mansion was sold in 1946, the proceeds were used to buy and remodel this former bank building further north, at 2531 W. Lehigh Avenue. The building required extensive rehabilitation to the interior by 1974. This ca. 1976 image is a copy of the architect's rendering for that project.
In 2005, the branch moved to its present location, a new glass-fronted building, three blocks away at 2808 W. Lehigh Avenue.
The Widener Branch serves the communities of North Central Philadelphia, Strawberry Mansion, and Allegheny West.
Barsoum, M. - Artist