Item No: pdcc01709
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 90
Additional Title: Carpenters' Hall and one other.
Historic Street Address:
2970 Market Street
Print and Picture Collection
Item 1, top: View of the facade of Carpenters' Hall, a key meeting place in the history of the United States. The First Continental Congress met here in September 1774. Located at 320 Chestnut Street, the two-story brick building was designed by Robert Smith in the Georgian style. It was built between 1770-1774 for the Carpenters' Company, a craft guild still in existence today. Photograph reproduced in unknown publication. 12.5 x 17.8 cm.
Item 2, bottom: View of the United States Post Office at 30th & Market Streets, as seen from across the Schuylkill River. The limestone-clad steel frame building was built in 1935 to house the main post office of Philadelphia. It was designed in the Art Deco style by the architectural firm of Rankin & Kellogg. The railroad bridge spanning the river was designed by notable architect Frank Furness. In the distance is a partial view of 30th Street Railroad Station. Photograph reproduced in unknown publication. 17.8 x 12.9 cm.
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler