Item No: pdcc03843
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.26, Business 2, page 12
Historic Street Address:
1006 North Sixth Street
Print and Picture Collection
Middle item, pdcc00009, [Baeder, Delany & Adamson, manufacturers of glue curled, cow hide whips, sand & emery paper, neatsfoot, oil, bone, dust, plastering hair]. [graphic], [image dimensions 9 cm x 18 cm]:
Baeder, Delany & Adamson, manufacturers of glue curled, cow hide whips, sand & emery paper, neatsfoot, oil, bone, dust, plastering hair. [graphic] : Stores: Philada. No. 14 S. 4th St. New York No. 225, Pearl Street; N.B. The highest price in cash given for glue pieces, damaged hides, cattle tails, ceroons, horns, bones &c. &c.
Tradecard showing a view of the glue and animal product manufacturing complex for partners Charles Baeder, Charles Delany, and William Adamson at 1006 North Sixth Street. Complex contains several buildings and two courtyards. The two largest buildings contain several stories, receiving entrances, and cupolas. Laborers holding tools with handles work on the roof of a shed-like building in the center of the complex. Horse-drawn carts are visible in the yard. Also includes street traffic in the foreground. A horse-drawn omnibus, wagon, and men on horseback travel in front of the fenced manufactory. The firm, established in 1828 by Baeder, became the premier manufacturer of its kind in the United States. The manufactory, of the firm later renamed Baeder, Adamson & Co., relocated to Richmond Street, Allegheny Avenue, and Westmoreland Street circa 1866.
Top item, pdcc00010, [Garsed & Brother Wingohocking Mills billhead] [graphic], [image dimensions 14 cm x 22 cm]:
Billhead for R. Garsed & Brother containing a view of the firm's textile mills built 1853 on the northwest corner of Ashland Street along Frankford Creek in Frankford. The mills include a small office building adjacent to a long single-story building with three portico entrances, a smokestack, and cupola adorned with a weather vane. The main building housed the spinning, carding, warping, and spreading rooms. Women stand in two of the portico entries, individuals walk on the grounds, and a "Wingohocking" horse-drawn wagon travels past the mill. In the foreground, by the creek, a horse and colt stand near a canoe marked "Wingohocking Mills" moored at the bank. Across from the animals, a Native American stands with his canoe moored behind him. Richard Garsed was a pioneer in the improvement of cotton mill machinery, including the increased efficiency of power looms, during the 1840s and 1850s.
Frankford Creek (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Printed on recto: Frankford, Pa. Invoice of Goods consigned to ______ for Sale on account of R. Garsed & Brother. Marks & Nos. Pieces. Description Yards. Total Yards. Price pr. Yard $____ Cts.
See Castner 26: 17 (pdcc03846) for watercolor study for print titled "At Frankford, Phila, Pa." Signed A. Kollner drawn 1855. View includes, in the foreground, "Wingohocking" "Frankford" paddleboat on the creek and horses at the creek bank. Also shows horses frolicking in front of the mills in the background.
A917.481 P536 v.26
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Kollner, Augustus, 1813-1906 - Lithographer