Item No: pdcf00602
Title: Germantown Branch
Additional Title: Fireplace in the Germantown Branch, 1898
Historic Street Address:
5708 Germantown Avenue, in Vernon Park
Print and Picture Collection
The Germantown Library, located in Vernon Hall, officially became the Germantown Branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia in 1896. In 1898, its location moved out of Vernon Hall and into Vernon House (also known as the Wister Mansion, built in 1803). This elaborate fireplace mantel is one of two inside this historic building.
This nineteenth century house served the Germantown community as a library branch until 1907, when the branch was again moved into a new Carnegie-funded building, also in Vernon Park. The branch closed altogether in 1978, when the Northwest Regional Library officially opened to the public, only a few blocks away.