Item No: pdcp01095
Title: The Aldine Hotel, Philadelphia
Historic Street Address:
1910-1922 Chestnut Street
Print and Picture Collection
This ca. 1900 postcard depicts the Aldine Hotel, on Chestnut Street. The original section of the hotel (on the left) was the renovated mansion of Phoebe and Dr. James Rush--built in 1851, then purchased and converted into the Aldine Hotel by J. B. Lippincott, in 1877. By 1895, the hotel was expanded with the larger, adjacent building (seen to the right); the latter building still remains, but the part of the hotel that was originally the mansion was torn down ca. 1925, in order to build the Boyd Theatre.
The John A. Gallagher Co., Inc.