Item No: pdcp01110
Title: Musical Fund Hall--Admission card for lecture about Civil War
Historic Street Address:
808 Locust Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Musical Fund Hall was opened in 1824, having been converted from a church into Philadelphia's largest concert and lecture venue at the time. The Musical Fund Hall's illustrious history is noted for the many famous lecturers and performers it hosted, as well as the first Republican National Convention in 1856.
This is a December 4th, 1863, admission card for a lecture, sponsored by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, at the Musical Fund Hall. The occasion listed on this card is a lecture, given by D. McConaughy Esq., of Gettysburg, PA, on "Incidents of the Great Battles of July 1st, 2d, and 3d, 1863," --in other words, an account of the Battle of Gettysburg.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania
King & Baird - Engraver