Item No: pdcp01112
Title: Musical Fund Hall--Republican Convention, Announcement of the Nominations
Historic Street Address:
808 Locust Street
Print and Picture Collection
Scharf & Westcott, vol 1, p. 601; vol. 3, p. 2291
Caption: "Republican Convention--Announcement of the Nominations at Musical Fund Hall, Philadelphia"
The Musical Fund Hall was opened in 1824, having been converted from a church into Philadelphia's largest concert and lecture venue at the time. The Musical Fund Hall's illustrious history is noted for the many famous lecturers and performers it hosted, as well as the first Republican National Convention in 1856, as depicterd in this newspaper illustration.
Scharf & Westcott
William Strickland - Architect