Item No: pdch00146
Title: Free Library of Philadelphia, Central Branch
Historic Street Address:
1901 Vine Street
Glass Plate Negatives
Print and Picture Collection
Image taken by Philadelphia Evening Bulletin photographer Charles T. Higgins. Notes on the negative's envelope read: "Free Library of Philadelphia, Central Branch, 1925-1926"
This 1925-1926 image shows a craftsman standing beside a large decorative plaster medallion, before it is positioned in the ceiling of the Parkway Central branch of the Free Library, in the later stages of its construction. Begun in 1917, the main branch opened on June 2, 1927. The Beaux-Arts building was designed by African-American architect Julian Abele, chief designer of the Horace Trumbauer architecture firm.
Higgins, Charles - Photographer