Item No: pdch00149
Title: Irvine Hall
Historic Street Address:
3401 Spruce Street, NW corner
Glass Plate Negatives
Print and Picture Collection
Image taken by Philadelphia Evening Bulletin photographer Charles T. Higgins. Notes on the negative's envelope read: "Irvine Hall"
This image shows an aerial view of the the Irvine Auditorium, on the NW corner of 3401 Spruce Street, at the University of Pennsylvania. Construction began in 1926, and sources differ about when the building was completed and/or formally opened (December 1928? May 1929?), but its earliest uses for publicly-attended events date from June 1928. Funds for the project came from a bequest in the will of Penn alumnus and former City Treasurer for Philadelphia William B. Irvine. The building was designed in the French Gothic style by the architecture firm of Horace Trumbauer. Since opening, Irvine Auditorium has served as the premier event space at Penn for concerts, films, guest speakers, ceremonies, etc.
Higgins, Charles - Photographer