Item No: pdcl00075
Title: Declaration House, 7th and Market Streets
Historic Street Address:
Seventh and Market Street
Print and Picture Collection
"Also called the "birthplace of liberty," this house was the residence of Joseph Graff, father of engineer Frederick Graff, when Thomas Jefferson, a delegate to the Continental Congress, wrote the Declaration of Independence while boarding here. This house was transformed completely in the nineteenth century by commercial enterprises, but now has been restored to its original state and opened as a historic site."--OPEP, p. 80.
The building on the corner. In front are a lamp post and a horse with wagon. Signs: Book & Job Printing Office; Printing office; W. Brown; W. Jordan Shoe Warehouse.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
Richards, F. De B. (Frederick De Bourg) - Photographer