You'll love these weblinks chosen by our expert librarians.
Designers' Latest Creations
- Anne Klein – Anne Klein started her sportswear label in 1968. In 2006, the classic American brand was given new life with the appointment of Isabel Toledo as creative director. Toledo's subsequent Anne Klein collections have been heralded as revelatory.
- Balenciaga – Cristobal Balenciaga founded his couture house in 1919, making a splash with his sculptural silhouettes. The line has become influential again with the modern designs of creative director Nicolas Ghesquiere.
- Calvin Klein – Calvin Klein showed his first collection in 1968 and turned his label into an international lifestyle brand. Presently, Francisco Costa acts as creative director and has wowed critics with his wearable, forward-thinking designs.
- Chanel – Extravagance and elegance have been synonymous with Chanel since the beginning of the twentieth century. Coco Chanel introduced the world to the cardigan suit and redefined women's fashion. The iconic Karl Lagerfeld followed in her ground-breaking footsteps, expertly directing the Chanel line from 1983 to 2004.
- Givenchy – Hubert de Givenchy founded the Givenchy house in 1952. His muse was Audrey Hepburn and he regularly designed clothing for her throughout her career, including the famed black gown from Breakfast at Tiffany's.
- Marc Jacobs – After being the youngest designer to win the CFDA's Perry Ellis Award in 1987, Marc Jacobs solidified his reputation as a powerhouse with his ground-beaking grunge collection. In addition to designing his own line, Jacobs is creative director at Louis Vuitton and spearheaded the revamping of their now-coveted accessories line.
- Prada – Over the years, Miuccia Prada's has become a leader of the pack. The label is often referenced in popular songs, books, and movies (The Devil Wears Prada).
- Valentino – In July, 2007, Valentino celebrated 45 years in the fashion industry. He has dressed such luminaries as Jackie Onassis, Elizabeth Taylor, Halle Berry, and Julia Roberts.
- Versace – The fashion house of the late Giovanni Versace. His sister, Donatella, has continued the brand's tremendous influence on pop culture. Her glitzy style is often parodied on Saturday Night Live.
- Yves St. Laurent – Yves St. Laurent launched his label in 1962 and turned the fashion world on its ear with his mix of pantsuits and fitted gowns. The line is now supervised by Stefano Pilati, whose innovative designs continue the legacy of St. Laurent himself.
Online Fashion Reference
- Council of Fashion Designers of America – The website for the CFDA - a nonprofit association of over 300 of America's most important fashion and accessory designers.
- The Museum at FIT – One of the only museums in the world dedicated to the art of fashion.
- New York Fashion – A comprehensive collection of fashion coverage from New York Magazine.
- The Sartorialist – International street style photo blog by famed photographer Scott Schuman.
- Style & Design – Analysis from famed fashion reporter, Suzy Menkes, and her colleagues at the International Herald Tribune.
- Style.com – The latest fashion news and coverage from the editors of Vogue and W.
- Women's Wear Daily – The "fashion bible" of the industry read by designers, retailers, and trendsetters alike.